Category Archives: Genealogy

Mammanas of Valledolmo

Six generations of descendants of Stefano Mammana and Rosolia Fioretta of Valledolmo, Palermo, Sicily, Italy, compiled by Richard Mammana 2020-2021. Births after 1960 are omitted for privacy.

Leave a comment

Filed under Genealogy, Personal

Hecktown Cemetery (The Dryland Yard)

dryland
A prominent story in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania’s Globe Times newspaper on Monday, August 19, 1974 carried one photograph of a bulldozer in a venerable local cemetery, with the following headline and text:
dryland03
Tombstones Bulldozed
Tombstones are being bulldozed in a section of the former Dryland Church Cemetery in Hecktown, where a living memorial will be erected in the future.
Harold Fabian, head of the Dryland Graveyard Assn., said that the site, dating back to the 1750s, will be marked by a central monument with a standard placed nearby listing the names of those buried on the grounds.
The graveyard, over a period of time, will be regraded and seeded so as to be “presentable to the rest of the community,” Fabian explained. No graves will be touched, he added.
The Rev. Robert Herman, pastor of the Hecktown Trinity Lutheran Church, commenting on the work being done, said: “The wind gets terrific up there, blowing over the brittle stones and breaking them. A lawnmower couldn’t get through there.”
It is estimated that approximately 50 tons of topsoil will be needed to complete the work.
Fabian stressed that “considerable time will be required before the changeover is completed.” Repairs attempted in the early 1960s were not successful, the Rev. Mr. Herman said earlier.
It was also pointed out that further attempts at repair work would have involved “tremendous costs” that could not be underwritten.
Further research in local newspapers revealed that the bulldozing was the culmination of a series of meetings to discern what to do with headstones in the churchyard that had served this rural Northampton County farming community’s Lutheran and German Reformed congregations since the 1750s. (Dryland Church was a “union church” in which two often-overlapping Lutheran and German Reformed congregations worshipped on alternate Sundays. A small number of such churches are still active. The congregational union at Dryland was dissolved in March of 1965 and there are now separate churches: Dryland United Church of Christ as successor to the Reformed congregation, and Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELCA) as successor to the previous Lutheran Church in America congregation.)

In 1899, John Eyerman recorded the epitaphs at Dryland for persons who were born before 1780, noting:

The Dryland Church-Yard is situated at Hecktown in Lower Nazareth township, eight miles W. of Easton. It w as laid out between the years 1760 and 1770. The present Church, a well-built structure adjoining the yard, was erected in the year 1842. The entire property is well-kept. Unfortunately, the inscriptions on some of the older stones have become quite illegible; this is particularly noticeable on the Potsdam sand-stone.—John Eyerman, The Old Grave-Yards of Northampton and Adjacent Counties in the State of Pennsylvania (Easton: Oakhurst House private press), pp. 14-20.

By the early 1970s, enough concern about the condition of the stones had arisen to occasion a piece in the local newspaper of record:
Hecktown Union Graveyard Feeling Effects of Years
The years are beginning to take their toll at the old Union Graveyard in Hecktown.
Headstones and markers “have become dangerous and have fallen into disrepair,” but a move to change it all is being made by the Dryland Graveyard Association, Inc.
A meeting has been called for 6 p.m. Aug. 23 when members of the association have invited interested parties to hear the plans and voice any objections they may have.
“We are interested in getting the graveyard to look the way it should,” William Day, secretary of the association, explained.
“It’s falling apart. What we are trying to do is to beautify the environment.”
“In the one section,” he added, “there are only six flower pots,”—an indication of the number of descendants still around.
More than 1,000 men, women, and children were buried in the nearly five-acre plot behind Trinity Church between 1740 and the 1950s.
There are veterans of the Revolutionary War, the Spanish-American War, the War of 1812, Civil War, World War I … and there are Indians.
Opening of the graveyard predates the organization of the union arrangement between Trinity Lutheran Church and Dryland Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1763.
The Rev. Robert L. Herman, Lutheran pastor, reported that as far back as 1763, however, anyone who paid a nickel a week to the church ($2.60 a year) was entitled to a free grave.
In the early years, Day noted, burials were not confined to any specific row. But from the 1910 period on, they were. “They were really buried all over the place,” he said.
According to the history of the cemetery, if a wife or husband died before he was 45, the survivor could not reserve a space next to the dead spouse. After the age of 45, though, an area was reserved.
Rev. Herman pointed to “an interesting feature about the children’s section, which is closest to the church.”
“There were certain times when four and five children of the same family were buried side by side. They all died in a period of two to five weeks. Apparently an epidemic ran right through the family.”
He said that the marble in the tombstones has been deteriorating over the years.
The proposed plan would involve removal of the headstones, markers and other structures, leveling the ground and replacing all headstones and markers.
(The Morning Call, August 6, 1971)
At the time of this article, one portion of the cemetery looked like this:
hecktown.jpg
Several weeks later, The Morning Call continued its coverage of the deliberations about the cemetery in a repetitive article:
Project Is Unopposed To Restore Graveyard
The Dryland Graveyard Association, Inc., met no opposition to its plans to restore the old Union Cemetery in Hecktown.
Fix of six board members held a two-hour public session has required by law to air proposals on the removal of dangerous conditions at the 231-year-old graveyard.
William Day, association secretary, said the lack of opposition paves the way for restoration, which, it is estimated, will takeover two years.
The problems of the cemetery stem from two major sources—the soft marble formerly used for memorials and the wood and slate used as an overcover for coffins after they were buried.
A representative of the Bath Memorial Co. said soft marble was used for grave markers in the past because stone cutting tools lacked the hard edges of modern tools. The soft marble, over the years, has deteriorated and many markers threaten to fall, thus creating a hazard to visitors, he said.
Granite is now used for memorials because tools have been developed to cut it easily.
The second problem is the deteriorating wood and slate overcovers used to protect coffins underground. These covers have in some instances fallen in, causing depressions in the earth.
Now concrete overcovers are used which eliminate the sinking of the ground.
The restoration proposal involves removing the headstones, markers and other structures, leveling the ground and replacing all headstones.
The association will finance the work from the interest that has accrued to estates willed to the association, Day said.
More than 1,000 men, women, and children were buried in the five-acre site behind Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church between 1740 and the 1950s.
There are veterans of the Revolutionary War, the Spanish-American War, the War of 1812, the Civil War, World War I and some Indians.
The graveyard was opened before the union of Trinity Church and Dryland Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1763.
The two churches maintained the graveyard after their union until 1962 when the union was dissolved. At that time, each church voted to elect three representatives each year to an independent graveyard association.
As far back as 1763, anyone who paid a nickel a week to the church ($2.60 a year) was entitled to a free grave. None of the ground in the perpetual care cemetery is owned by families.
The Morning Call, August 24, 1971, page 13.
I discovered this remarkable—and to my mind unfortunate—story in 2002 during the course of genealogical research using tombstone inscriptions as primary sources. Beginning in 2002, I corresponded with a family friend, the Reverend Richard Druckenbrod (1930-2003) about the possible fate of the stones. (Pastor Druckenbrod had conducted the funerals of my great-grandparents and several other relatives and friends in eastern Pennsylvania over the course of several decades; he knew the local community well, having served as a minister to the Dryland congregation in the late 1950s and early 1960s, and having worked subsequently as president of the Pennsylvania German Society.) He informed me in a letter in 2002 that the stones had all been dumped in a local quarry after they were bulldozed in 1974. He said that there might be a possibility of recovering them if I were able to ascertain in what quarry the stones had been dumped, even at a remove of almost 30 years; his sense was that water may have offered better opportunities for stone preservation than local air would have in view of car exhaust and industrial pollution.
During personal visits in 2003 and 2004, however, I gleaned conflicting information from cemetery caretakers about the fate of the stones: one said that all of the gravestones had been bulldozed into the ground beneath the current landscaped space, and covered over with dirt; another repeated the story that they had been dumped in a local, unnamed quarry. In a subsequent phone conversation with clergy at the church, I was told that the stones had been turned into gravel.
During the 1940s, Eleanor Martin Barba (1893-1966) and Preston Albert Barba (1883-1971) included the Dryland Hecktown stones in their significant Pennsylvania German Tombstones: A Study in Folk Art (Allentown: Schlechter’s for the Pennsylvania German Folklore Society, 1954). The following drawings by Mrs. Barba are the only known depictions of the destroyed gravestones.
Untitled
Stone for Nicklaus Broder (1706-1776)
Barba and Barba: “The illustration shows the reverse side of Nicklaus Broder’s tombstone. Its architectural lines show the influence of the baroque Georgian style of the period. Traditional themes are shown in more ornate forms. A modified six-point compass star adorns the head of the stone; quarter-suns radiate from the corners of the panel; from a rather clumsy urn emerges a tree of life in asymmetric form with pendent tulip and bursting fruit.” (p. 112)

Untitled 2

Barba and Barba: “The reverse side of Nicholaus Schael’s tombstone. The entire panel is taken up with a boldly executed seven-branched tree of life growing out of an urn containing the water of life. Note again the drooping lower branches—stirb und werde!” (p. 114)


Untitled 3

Stone for Christian Nauman (18 January 1704—28 February 1773)

Barba and Barba: “The illustration shows the reverse side of this interesting tombstone on which traditional motifs are curiously united with unusual insignia. The designer delighted in varying the forms of the sun symbols, both at the foot of the stone and in the lobes of the heart. Out of the heart, typical in form of German peasant art, grows a tree of life culminating in a large blossom, containing within its cup compass, square and broadax. But why? Could these be Masonic emblems? Fortunately we later learned that Christian Nauman was the carpenter of the first church edifice and builder of the wall that enclosed the churchyard.” (p. 128)


Untitled 4

Stone for Simon Koenig (28 April 1795—6 April 1796)

Barba and Barba: “Two radiating suns and a central four-point star are the only adornments on the stone of this infant.”


Untitled 5

Stone for Elisabeth Huber (born 1809).

Barba and Barba: “The only adornment is the familiar heart form of German peasant art, with the tri-branch or dreispross growing from it.” (p. 166)


Untitled 6

Stone for Sara Kufer (16 October 1797—1801).

Barba and Barba: “Little Sara’s tombstone is adorned with two sun-wheels enclosing eight-point stars and surmounted by a heart.” (p. 68)


Untitled 7

Stone for Sara Hertzel (19 June 1771—19 July 1791).

Barba and Barba: “The crowned and winged cherub’s head, still slightly reminiscent of the death’s head, is common property of ecclesiastical art. Confrontal birds, usually doves, are a stock design both in religious and secular folk art. They are seen frequently on illuminated birth and baptismal certificates, as well as on household utensils.” (p. 64)


The stones and several hundred others with them were replaced in 1974 with the following name-board:
name board.jpg

2 Comments

Filed under Genealogy, Northampton County Carver

Christ Lutheran, Hellertown: Elisabeth Laubach (1780)

laubachin.jpeg

Name: Laubach, Elisabeth, 6 September 1780—6 October 1781
Stone date: 1780
Text:

ELISABeT
LAUBACHeN
IST • GeBOHreN
IM • IAHr • CHrISTI 1780
D • 6 • OCT
UND • GeSTOrBeN
A • 1781 • DeN 1 • NOFe
MPer
Ihr • ALTer • WAHr
I • IA • UND • I • M

Photographed July 13, 2019 by Richard Mammana
Old Christ Lutheran Church Cemetery
Lower Saucon, Hellertown, Northampton, Pennsylvania
40.600237, -75.320902

This stone for an infant bears a reverse date of 1780, and an obverse/epitaph death-date of 1781. Her grandparents Johannes Christian Laubach (1699-1768) and Susana Catharina Zimmler Laubach (1705-1770) have nearby stones likely commissioned at the same time. The decorated side has been obliterated by a modern resetting; the reverse was sketched by Eleanor Barba between c. 1939 and 1954:

import (1)

Drawing from Preston Barba, Pennsylvania German Tombstones: A Study in Folk Art. Allentown: Schlechter’s for the Pennsylvania German Folklore Society, 1954, p. 93, with the following description:

At the head of the stone a quatrefoil sunburst for which this stone-cutter seems to have had a preference. The upper half of the panel is adorned with a five-branched tree of life, free in treatment and again with drooping lower branches. Especially interesting are the spirals below an architectural detail in the lower half of the panel. Such spirals are common in the folk art of the Nordic races and are symbolical of the sun’s journey from the winter solstice (when the earth is in aphelion) up to the summer solstice (perihelion) and its descending course in the second half of the year.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under Genealogy, Northampton County Carver

Christ Lutheran, Hellertown: Christian Laubach (1780)

IMG_2367

Name: Laubach, Johannes Christian, 1699-29 November 1768
Stone date: 1780
Text:

CHrIST
IAN • LAUBACH
IST • GeBOHreN
IM • IAHr • CHrISTI
1699
UND • GeSTOrBeN
IM • IAHr • CHrISTI
1768 • D 29 • NOF
SeIN • ALTer • WA
Hr 69 • I •

Photographed July 13, 2019 by Richard Mammana
Old Christ Lutheran Church Cemetery
Lower Saucon, Hellertown, Northampton, Pennsylvania
40.600237, -75.320902

Like the stone for Laubach’s wife Susana Catharina, the decorated reverse of this stone by the Northampton County Carver has been obliterated in a 1961 resetting that preserved only the epitaph on the obverse. (The Laubachs arrived in Philadelphia on 16 September 1738.) The stone was originally erected twelve years after the death of the decedent. The reverse was sketched by Eleanor Barba between c. 1939 and 1954:

laubach (1).jpg

Drawing from Preston Barba, Pennsylvania German Tombstones: A Study in Folk Art. Allentown: Schlechter’s for the Pennsylvania German Folklore Society, 1954, p. 91, with the following description:

The stonecutter must have been proud of his work, placing the epitaph on the back of the stone as of secondary importance.

Within a baroque architectural framework are the traditional folk motifs: at the head a six-point compass star formed by six interlacing circles; within the panel radiating quarter-suns; a tree of life growing out of an urn bears diverse flower. The lower branches of drooping tulips denote the passing generation—stirb und werde!—the timeless death-to-life motif.

This article from the Morning Call on June 5, 1961 is an account of a service at the dedication of the memorial incorporating the front of the stones:

laub

Leave a comment

Filed under Genealogy, Northampton County Carver

Christ Lutheran, Hellertown: Susana Laubach (1780)

IMG_2368

Name: Laubach (née Zimmer), Susana Catarina, 1705-12 March 1770
Stone date: 1780; see also her husband’s stone
Text:

SUSANA
CATArINA
LAUBACHeN
IST • GeBOHreN
A • 1705
UND • GeSTOr
BeN • 1770 • DeN
12 • MerTZ
Ihr • ALTer • WAr
63 • IAr

Photographed July 13, 2019 by Richard Mammana
Old Christ Lutheran Church Cemetery
Lower Saucon, Hellertown, Northampton, Pennsylvania
40.600237, -75.320902

The decorated reverse of this stone by the Northampton County Carver has been obliterated in a 1961 resetting by the Laubach Family Association that preserved the epitaph on the obverse. The stone was originally erected a decade after the death of the decedent; the birth and death dates do not result in the age in years given by the cutter. The reverse was sketched by Eleanor Barba between c. 1939 and 1954:

laubach (1)

Drawing from Preston Barba, Pennsylvania German Tombstones: A Study in Folk Art. Allentown: Schlechter’s for the Pennsylvania German Folklore Society, 1954, p. 87, with the following description:

The old cemetery of Christ Union Church, Lower Saucon Township, Northampton County, contains a number of 18th century tombstones unsurpassed for beauty of design. The large dates on the ornamented sides of the tombstones apparently denote time of erection and not date of death. Note the discrepancies. These tombstones no doubt were cut in the same workshop. All were created in the 70s and 80s of the 18th century.

The tombstone of a pioneer mother of the Laubach family was only erected 10 years after her death. The head of the stone is adorned with a quatrefoil sunburst. In the four corners of the panel are radiating quarter-suns. From an urn grows a tree of life, beautifully balanced and bearing a variety of flowers. Realism is not an objective in Pennsylvania German folk art.

1 Comment

Filed under Genealogy, Northampton County Carver

Bibliography of Pennsylvania German Tombstones

1899
John Eyerman, The Old Grave-Yards of Northampton and Adjacent Counties in the State of Pennsylvania. Easton: Oakhurst House (private press).

1954
Preston Barba, Pennsylvania German Tombstones: A Study in Folk Art. Allentown: Schlechter’s for the Pennsylvania German Folklore Society, 1954.

1956
Preston A. Barba “Symbols and Stones.” Pennsylvania History: A Journal of Mid-Atlantic Studies 23, no. 2: pp. 241-47. http://www.jstor.org/stable/27769646.

1975
Frank E. McDonald, “Pennsylvania German Tombstone Art of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania” in Pennsylvania Folklife, Autumn, Vol. XXV, No. 1, pp. 2-19.

1990
William N. Richardson, “The Pennsylvania German Tombstones of Isaac Faust Stiehly (1800-1869),” Proceedings of the Northumberland County Historical Society, Vol. XXX. Also issued separately.

2000
Claire Messimer, Known by the Work of His Hands. (Kutztown: Pennsylvania German Society annual volume.

2004
Richard J. Mammana, Jr., “Interview With Sandra Hardy, Founder of Pennsylvania German Tombstones Online,” Der Reggeboge 38, no. 2, pp. 27-30.

2011
Bernard L. Herman, “On Being German in British America: Gravestones and the Inscription of Identity.” Winterthur Portfolio 45, no. 2/3: 195-208. doi:10.1086/660910.
2016
Alexander Lawrence Ames, “Quill and Graver Bound: Frakturschrift Calligraphy, Devotional Manuscripts, and Penmanship Instruction in German Pennsylvania, 1755–1855,” Winterthur Portfolio 50, no. 1 (Spring): pp. 1-83. doi:10.1086/687271

Leave a comment

Filed under Genealogy, Northampton County Carver

Straw Church Cemetery

IMG_2338IMG_2337

Name: Henitz, Peter, 1718-21 February 1777
Stone date: 1779
Text:

ALHIer
RUHeT • IN • GOTT
PeTer • HenrTZ • IST
GeBOHren A • 1718
IM • FreYeN •  GrUND
IN • Der • GrAFSCHET
HAGeNBUrG • IN
TeUTHLAND • IST
GeSTOrBeN • DeN
21 • FeBr.
1777 • IST • AL
SO • SeINeS
ALTerS
59 • JAr

Photographed July 12, 2019 by Richard Mammana
St. James Lutheran Straw Church Cemetery
Stewartsville, Warren, New Jersey
40°40’48.4″N 75°08’42.0″W

The only stone by the Northampton County Carver outside of Pennsylvania is in the Straw Church Cemetery. It was erected two years after the death of the person mentioned in the epitaph.

“Other early markers survive in the St. James Lutheran Cemetery in Warren County, including the wonderfully ornamented gravemarker of Peter Henitz. Peter’s stone has his biographical information on one face and a wonderful relief image of tulips in a vase on the reverse. The marker is probably the work of a Northampton County, Pennsylvania carver.”—Richard F. Veit and Mark Nonestied, New Jersey Cemeteries and Tombstones: History in the Landscape (Rutgers University Press, 2008), p. 65.

Leave a comment

Filed under Genealogy, Northampton County Carver

Northampton County Carver

IMG_2369

Three stones by or closely related to the Northampton County Carver at Christ Lutheran Church Cemetery, Hellertown, Lower Saucon, Northampton, Pennsylvania.

@northamptoncountycarver

Leave a comment

Filed under Genealogy, Northampton County Carver

Major James Brown of Franklin, Pennsylvania

Major James Brown was an excellent little man, who lived at the lower end of town, down toward Capt. Smith’s ferry. He was a drum-major of the land forces at Erie, in 1812, “who drummed up a tune that rushed the Americans right on to victory,” that “feared nothing of the face of clay.” Down near where the Union School building was what was in those days called “Parks meadow,” which was surrounded by a high board fence. The occupant of the meadow was an extremely cross and vicious bull that used to chase the young men and boys out of the lot on “a double quick.” The Major deprecated such consummate cowardice, and happening along there, said he would show them a lesson, that “he didn’t go through the war to come home a coward.” He went into the field toward the animal, which was surprised to see a man come so close and undaunted, crying out, “so boss, so boss, sukey! sukey! sukey!” in the most confident style, when suddenly the bull made a dive for him, roaring and bellowing. The Major turned quickly, threw up his hands, motioning back as he fairly flew across the field, saying as he went, “shoo there! shoo there!” just clearing the fence as the wild animal rushed against it with his horns.

—J.H. Newton, History of Venango County, Pennsylvania, and Incidentally of Petroleum (Columbus, Ohio: J.A. Caldwell, 1879) p. 478.

Leave a comment

Filed under Genealogy

Leydich Burying Ground (1921)

Leydich Burying Ground[1]
By John R. Tallis

Formerly, due to the fact that there were no church yards near, it was customary in rural sections among the leading families to bury their dead on their homesteads. For this purpose an elevation overlooking the farm, or near a stream, was usually chosen. The largest private burying ground in this district is known as the Leydich cemetery; it is located in the southwestern part of Frederick township, east of Swamp Creek, near the cross roads one mile south of Keelor’s Church. A unique spot was chosen; at the junction of four farms owned respectively by the Rev. John Phillip Leydich, Christian Stetler, George Michael Kuntz and George Moore; an equal square portion of land from each farm was set apart by each family. This plot was at first surrounded by a beautiful grove of White Oak and Hickory trees, which since has been cut down and all that now remains are a few trees that mark the fence lines. The plot is about 100 feet square in size and is kept in an excellent state of preservation. A stone wall was built in the fall of 1783, the corners of which point direct to the cardinal points of the compass; the corner of the Stetler plot points to the north, of the Moore plot to the east, of the Kuntz plot to the south and of the Leydich plot to the west. According to the will of Christian Stetler another ¼ of an acre is willed to the cemetery on the Stetler side; and George Moore willed a piece of land to run the length of the wall and reach out 40 feet from it on the entrance gate side so that there would be space for the teams at a funeral; these extra plots are not enclosed but are at present farmed by the present owners of the surrounding farms. Before Keelor’s Church was built the Reformed Congregation voted to locate the church at this burial ground but the location was voted down by the small margin or two or three votes.

There is still in existence an old record book of the burying ground. The entries are written in fine old German script and neatly kept. The first entry is of the expenses of building the stone wall in the fall of 1783 which reads as follows:

Verzeichnis Der Ausgabe an der Begraebnis Blatz

Der 27ten November im Jahr 1783

Erstens Vor Die Maurer bezahlt £16— 0—0
Vor den Handlanger bezahlt 3— 2—6
Vor Kalg bezahlt 6— 3—9
Vor das Thor an den Begraebniss Blatz 1—15—0
Vor Zieglen an den Begraebniss Blatz 3— 6—3
Vor Kost bei Michael Kuntz 1— 7—2
Vor Kost bei Christian Staettler 1— 3—6
Vor Kost bei Phillip Leydich 1— 3—6
Vor Kost bei Jacob Staettler 0—17—6
Vor die Stein bey John Jahn 0—10—6
Vor Rum 0—15—0
£36—4—8

 

Translated the foregoing would read:

 

Record of the first expenses on the burial place

The 27th of November in the year of 1783

 

Paid to the Masons £16— 0—0
Paid to the helpers 3— 2—6
Paid for Lime 6— 3—9
Paid for Gate at Burial Place 1—15—0
Paid for Tiles for Burial Place 3— 6—3
Paid for board to Michael Kuntz 1— 7—2
Paid for board to Christian Staettler 1— 3—6
Paid for board to Phillip Leydich 1— 3—6
Paid for board to Jacob Staettler 0—17—6
Paid for Stones to John Jahn 0—10—6
Paid for Rum 0—15—0
£36—4—8

The rum mentioned in the expenses was made at a public distillery which was located on the road leading from the plot to Fagleysville; the farmers brought in their rye grain and the rum was distilled on shares, the farmer taking half and the distillery half.

To meet these expenses a subscription was taken up amongst the surrounding neighbors and friends and the following is the record:

Verzeichnis der Ersten Einnahm vor den Begraebniss Blatz im Jahr 1783, Den 30ten November

Empfangen von Christian Staettler vor Kalg als ein Ueberrest vom Begraebniss Blatz £0— 17—2
Empfangen von Friederich Weiss 1—5—0
Empfangen von Henrich Sasseman 1—3—4
Empfangen von Casper Achenbach 1—10—0
Empfangen von Jacob Christmann 0—7—6
Empfangen von Georg Michael 0—7—6
Empfangen von Michael Krebb 0—10—0
Empfangen von Catharine Staettler 0—7—6
Empfangen von Benjamin Schneider 0—7—6
Empfangen von Henrich Schmitt 2—0—0
Empfangen von Jacob Staettler 1—10—0
Empfangen von Henrich Grob 0—7—6
Empfangen von Daniel Krauss 0—5—0
Empfangen von Christian Staettler 1—10—0
Empfangen von Joseph Bitting alt 1—2—6
Empfangen von Ludwig Engelhart 3—0—0
Empfangen von Andreas Will 0—7—6
Empfangen von Johannes Herger 0—10—0
Empfangen von Phillip Leydich der alt 3—0—0
Empfangen von Friederich Kuntz 1—10—0
Empfangen von Johannes Staettler 1—10—0
Empfangen von Leonhart Leydich 0—15—0
Empfangen von Phillip Leydich der jung 0—7—0
Empfangen von David Bruch 0—4—3
Empfangen von Michael Kuntz 1—10—0
£26—4—3

 

In the fall of 1797 the old tiles which were placed on top of the wall were removed and a wood cover was put on in their place which is recorded as follows:

Verzeichniss der Ausgabe an Den Begraebniss Blatz im Jahr unsers Herrn 1797.

October den 15, 1797

Erstens vor Bord bezahlt an Den Begraebniss Blatz £9—16—8
Wieder vor Kalg bezahlt 1—19—9
Wieder vor Naegel bezahlt 2—6—7
Wieder vor Farb bezahlt 0—8—6
Wieder vor Mauren bezahlt 3—3—6
Wieder vor Schreinerei bezahlt 6—15—6
Wieder vor Saegen bezahlt 1—10—0
Wieder vor Lein ohl bezahlt 2—5—0
Wieder vor Ein Schreib buch bezahlt 0—2—4
Wieder vor Beintin bezahlt 6—7—6
£34—15—6

 

Again subscriptions were asked for and the response was as follows.

Verzeichniss Der Einnahm an den Begraebniss Blatz im Jahr unseres Herrn 1797.

Erstens vermacht von Henrich Krauss £5—0—0
Wieder Ziegelen Verkauft als das Dach vom alten Begraebniss Blatz 2—4—5
Empfangen von Catharine Staettler widow 1—2—6
Empfangen von Georg Adam Schneider 0—5—0
Empfangen von Joseph Bitting 1—2—6
Empfangen von Ludwig Reimer 0—15—0
Empfangen von Fridrich Kuntz 1—2—6
Empfangen von Michael Dotterer 0—3—9
Empfangen von Joseph Bitting jung 0—7—6
Empfangen von Frantz Leydich 1—10—0
Empfangen von Peter Aker 0—7—6
Empfangen von John Reimer 1—2—6
Empfangen von John Neiss, Gaerber 0—15—0
Empfangen von Georg Mohr 0—15—0
Empfangen von Philipp Leydich 0—15—0
Empfangen von Daniel Krauss 1—10—0
Empfangen von Henrich Grob 1—2—6
Empfangen von Saloma Herger 1—2—6
Empfangen von Casper Achenbach 1—2—6
Empfangen von Henrich Sasseman 0—15—0
Empfangen von Georg Michael jung 0—3—9
Empfangen von Gottfried Langbein 0—15—0
Empfangen von Georg Langbein 0—18—9

The next collection was made on October 18th, 1849, and amounted to $42.29. The expenses recorded on October 18th, 1849 were $33.85. This is the last record of money matters in the book. There is a record of burials from Jan. 1784 to Oct. 1838. The names marked by star have their graves marked with gravestones.

Verzeichniss der Verstorbenen welche auf diesem Begraebniss Blatz Begrabed sind seit dem Jahr 1783.

*1. Phillip Leydich, preacher, died Jan. 14, 1784.

  1. Child of Samuel Staettler, died Mar. 3, 1784.
  2. Child of Henrich Krobb, died Jan. 15, 1785.
  3. Child of Georg Wuetling, died Feb. 27, 1785.
  4. Child of Henrich Langbein, died Mar. 7, 1785.
  5. Wife of Henrich Schmitt, died June 24, 1785.

* 7. Wife of Joseph Bitting, died Nov. 5, 1785.

  1. Susanna Bender, died June 14, 1787.
  2. Friedrich Weiss, died March 20, 1788.

* 10. Hanna Staettler, died July 20, 1789.

  1. Andony Herb, died Feb. 13, 1790.
  2. Joseph Mebry, died Oct. 19, 1790.
  3. Johannes Aker, died Jan. 1, 1791.
  4. Henrich Grobb, died Oct. 14, 1791.
  5. Peter Aker’s daughter, died Nov. 8, 1792.
  6. Henrich Schmitt, died Apr. 14, 1793.
  7. Henrich Grauss, died Sep. 28, 1793.
  8. Georg Krauss, died Oct. 6, 1793.
  9. Carl Fuchs’s child, died Oct. 21, 1793.
  10. Christina Krauss, died May 14, 1794.
  11. Henrich Krauss, died Aug. 13, 1794.
  12. John Krob, died 1795.
  13. Child of Elizabeth Reiner, died 1795.

Sofia Leydig, died Oct. 12, 1795.

* 24. Johannes Herger, died Dec. 5, 1795.

  1. Michael Krauss, the lame one, buried Jan. 3. 1797.
  2. Herbin, died Mar. 13, 1797.

* 27. Magdalena Sassamann, died April 15, 1797.

  1. Child of Georg Langbein, died Aug. 7, 1797.
  2. Child of Georg Langbein, buried Aug. 18, 1797.
  3. Child of Georg Adam Schloneker, buried Aug. 20, 1797.
  4. Michael Krauss, Sr., died Dec. 11, 1797.
  5. Johannes Staettler’s daughter, died Jan. 11, 1798.
  6. Henrich Krob’s wife, Barbara, died Nov. 1, 1798.
  7. Abraham Pool—born Oct. 1, 1795; died July 12, 1834.
  8. Gottfried Langbein, buried Feb. 26, 1799.
  9. Joseph Bitting’s daughter Anna, died Mar. 16, 1799.
  10. Friedrich Weiss’s wife, died Feb. 10, 1800.
  11. Michael Schwotz, died Aug. 3, 1800.
  12. Conrad Grob’s wife, Anna, died Sept. 27, 1800.

* 40. Maria Solomae Herger, died Nov. 24, 1800.

* 41. Salomae Leydich, died Apr. 28, 1801.

  1. Catharina Scheid, died July, 1801.

* 43. Maria Catharina Leydich, died Oct. 31, 1801.

* 44. Joseph Bitting, died Dec. 25, 1801.

  1. Henrich Staettler’s child, died Apr. 3, 1802.
  2. Catharina May, died Feb. 24, 1803.

* 47. Benjamin Schneider’s son Henrich, died Mar. 4, 1803.

  1. Henrich Grobb’s daughter, died Nov. 8, 1803.

* 49. Benjamin Schneider, died Feb. 3, 1804.

  1. John Krauss’s son Philipp, died Oct. 18, 1804.
  2. George Langbein’s daughter, died Mar. 12, 1805.
  3. George Scheid’s son Joseph, died July 21, 1803.
  4. Henrich Grob’s daughter, died May 29, 1806.
  5. Samuel Boyer, died May 3, 1807.

* 55. Georg Mohr’s wife, died May 27, 1807.

  1. Casper Roth, died June 24, 1807.
  2. Heinrich Stetler’s son, died Apr. 24, 1808.
  3. Adam Schloneker’s child, died Aug. 25, 1808.

* 59. Casper Achenbach’s child, died Jan. 7, 1809.

  1. Joseph Schmidt’s child, died July 3, 1810.
  2. Isaac Stetler, died July 14, 1810.
  3. Johannes Hofmann’s wife, died Feb. 10, 1811.
  4. Isaac Stetler’s child, died Feb. 23, 1811.

* 64. Franciscus Leydig, died June 2, 1811.

  1. Gottfried Langbein’s wife.

* 66. John Stedtler, died Dec. 30, 1812.

* 67. Johannes Reimer’s wife, died Sept. 27, 1813.

* 68. Christian Stedtler, died Dec. 5, 1813.

  1. Jacob Schwenk’s wife, died Apr. 22, 1814.

* 70. Casper Roth’s son Daniel, died Dec. 5, 1814.

* 71. Adam Stedtler’s wife, died Dec. 14, 1814.

  1. Johannes Christmann’s child, died July 30, 1815.

* 73. Philipp Kuntz’s son Israel, died Aug. 28, 1815.

* 74. Jacob Reifschneider’s son, died Sept. 4, 1815.

  1. Jacob Krauss’s child, died Sept. 16, 1815.
  2. Daniel Krauss’s child, died Sept. 20, 1815.
  3. Daniel Schwenk’s child, died Oct. 18, 1815.
  4. John Christmann’s child, died Apr. 26, 1817.
  5. Adam Schloneker’s child, died May 26, 1817.
  6. Joseph Schmidt’s child, died June 6, 1817.
  7. Jacob Zieber, died Jan. 24, 1817.

* 82. Benjamin Schneider’s wife, died Nov. 19, 1817.

  1. John Christmann’s child.

* 84. Samuel Leydig’s child, died Apr. 1, 1818.

* 85. Ludwig Reimer, died Sept. 10, 1818.

* 86. Ludwig Bitting’s wife, died Sept. 26, 1818.

  1. Henrich Langbein, died Sept. 23, 1819.
  2. Valentin Schneider, died Dec. 13, 1819.
  3. Peter Aker, died 1820.
  4. Johannes Krauss’s son Daniel, died Feb. 18, 1921.
  5. Jacob Krauss’s little child, died Apr. 1, 1821.

* 92. John Emrich’s daughter, died July 19, 1821.

  1. John Emrich’s little child, died Sept. 18, 1821.

* 94. Frantz Leydig’s wife, died Oct. 10, 1821.

  1. Ludwig Reimer’s wife, Susanna, died Jan. 5, 1821.

* 96. Johannes Reimer, died Jan. 18, 1822.

* 97. Philip Leydig, died Mar. 14, 1822.

* 98. Daniel Krauss’s wife, died May 14, 1822.

  1. Richard Greening’s child, died July 28, 1822.
  2. John Stadler’s wife, died July 4, 1823.
  3. Christian Stadtler’s son Christian, died July 26, 1823.

* 102. Friderich Kuntz, died Aug. 19, 1823.

  1. Wilhelm Till, son of Valentine Schneider, died Oct. 2, 1823.

* 104. Daniel Krauss, died Oct. 3, 1823.

* 105. Henrich Langenbein’s wife, died Oct. 10, 1823.

* 106. Jacob Pannebeker, died Oct. 21, 1823.

* 107. John Christman’s wife, died Nov. 28, 1823.

* 108. John Christmann’s child, died Nov. 22, 1823.

  1. Henrich Grob’s wife Maria, died Jan. 3, 1824.

* 110. Georg Mohr, died Jan. 7, 1824.

* 111. Michael Kuntz, died July 7, 1824.

* 112. Philip Kuntz’s child, died Aug. 10, 1824.

  1. Michael Stadtler, died Aug. 17, 1824.

* 114. Philip Lutz’s second child, died Aug. 26, 1824.

  1. Christian Lang’s child, died October 15, 1824.
  2. John Matthaus’s child, died Feb. 16, 1825.

* 117. Fridrich Kuntz’s wife, died July 31, 1825.

  1. Catharina Krauss, died Nov. 17, 1825.

* 119. Elisabeth Langbein, died Mar. 7, 1826.

  1. Philipp Zieber, died Apr. 30, 1826.
  2. Peter Bitting, died June 23, 1826.
  3. Jacob Lietcap.

* 123. Georg Langbein, died Sept. 25, 1826.

  1. Philipp Reiner, died Oct. 11, 1826.

* 125. Christian Stadtler’s wife, died Nov. 3, 1826.

  1. John Kopler’s child, Nov. 6, 1826.

* 127. Heinrich Grob’s wife, died Feb. 11, 1827.

  1. Jacob Zieber’s wife Elisabeth, died Feb. 8, 1828.
  2. Peter Bitting’s wife Catharina, died July 28, 1828.
  3. Daniel Krauss’s wife, died Aug. 10, 1828.

* 131. Jacob Reifschneider’s wife Catharina, died Sept. 23, 1828.

* 132. Ludwig Bitting, died April 3, 1829.

* 133. John Kuntz, died July 15, 1830.

* 134. Heinrich Stadtler’s wife Catharina, died Sept. 16, 1830.

  1. John Aerney.
  2. John Matthis.

* 137. Jacob Reifschneider, died Feb. 26, 1832.

* 138. Michael Kuntz’s wife Salome, died Dec. 4, 1832.

* 139. George Mohr’s son Josua, died Oct. 3, 1833.

  1. Peter Schweisfort, died Jan. 22, 1834.
  2. Jacob Seyler’s wife Maria, nee Leidig, died Apr. 6, 1836.
  3. Peter Schweissford’s wife Maria, nee Bickhart, died May 10, 1839.

* 143. Philipp Kuntz’s wife Elisabeth, died Oct. 11, 1838.

 

Besides the list of burials in the old record book, there is a list of Headstones made by the late George Nyce and placed among the records of the Penn. Hist. Society. Of the late burials the only records we have are from the gravestones and from the list made by Mr. Nyce. From the two lists we get a pretty complete record of the burials from 1783 to the latter part of the last century. Who all were buried on the Stettler plot before the joint cemetery was formed we have no means of ascertaining.

 

  1. Joseph Bitting—Born Dec. 8, 1790; died Oct. 1, 1869.
  2. Elizabeth Bitting, daughter of Peter Schaeffer—Born Apr. 10, 1796; died Feb. 10, 1872.
  3. J.
  4. C. M.
  5. Johannes Emmerich, son of Johannes & Maria Emmerich—Born Mar. 24, 1778; died May 12, 1870.
  6. Margaret Emmerich, daughter of Dan & Margaret—Born Oct. 9, 1872; died Aug. 27, 1851.
  7. William Emrich.
  8. Jesse Emrich, son of Johannes & Margaret Emrich—Born Sept. 19, 1814; died May 16, 1829.
  9. G. T. B.
  10. A. N. A.
  11. T. N. A.
  12. B. T. N.

1781.

  1. C. A. D. A.
  2. R.

1788.

  1. Heinrich Grob—Born Nov. 21, 1755; died Oct. 18, 1841.
  2. (In list above)
  3. (In list above)
  4. Johannes Grob.
  5. Ester, wife of the Rev. R. T. Herman. Pos. of the Rev. Leidich, child of Jac. And Maria—Born Jan. 30, 1807; died July 2, 1848.
  6. Lita—

Anna—Daughters of Samuel Koons.

  1. Philip Kuntz, son of Michal Kuntz—Born Jan. 28, 171; died Feb. 22, 1842.
  2. Israel Kuntz, son of P. & E. Kuntz—Born Apr. 14, 1821; Sept. 17, 1839.
  3. R. Mertz.
  4. Johannes Krause—Born Dec. 27, 1754; did Aug. 19, 1870.
  5. Jacob Leidich—Born May 28, 1779; died Feb. 3, 1847.
  6. Maria Leidich—Born April 25, 1749; died Aug. 7
  7. Francis Leidig—Born Feb. 23, 1814; did Aug. 31, 1858.
  8. Henry Endre Leidig, son of Fran & Catherina Leidig.
  9. Rosina Leidig, daughter of Geo. D. and Maglena Buchert—Born Feb. 22, 1760; died Nov. 2, 1849.
  10. Samuel Leidig, son of P. & R. Leidig—Born Apr. 3, 1790; died Sept. 25, 1873.
  11. Hannah (Schwenkar) Leidig—Born Aug. 17, 1793; did Apr. 3, 1857.
  12. Sarah Ann Leidig, daughter of S. & H. Leidig, und eine Ehegattin von Fer’nd Reifschneider—Born Feb. 11, 1821; died Dec. 10, 1854.
  13. Eva Langenbein, eine geborne Fischer—Born Oct. 10, 1763; died May 8, 1851.
  14. Gottfried Langbein—Born Nov. 27, 1771; died Nov. 12, 1842.
  15. Catherine Puhl—Born July 12, 1798; died Nov. 12, 1842.
  16. M. B. M.
  17. Abraham Pool—Born Oct. 1, 1795; died July 12, 1894.
  18. Maria Catherin Mohr, dau. of G. & M. Mohr—Born Sept. 18, 1785; died Apr. 27, 1824.
  19. Elizabeth Sassemann—Born Jan. 10, 1778; died Nov. 9, 1808.
  20. Johannes Albert Schwenk, einen Soenchen von Dan and Maria Schwenk.
  21. Peter Schmidt, ein Soenchen von Jos. & Eva M. Schmidt—Born Mar. 9, 1807; died June 30, 1809.
  22. Maria Schweisfort (Bickhart)—Born Oct. 19, 1772; died May 10, 1839.
  23. Mary Stetler, wife of John Stetler—Age 40; 1777.
  24. Mary Stetler—Born Nov. 12, 1734; died Sept. 1775.
  25. Heinrich Stattler—Born 1706; died 1763.
  26. Heinrich Stattler—Born 1732; died May 8, 1780.
  27. Catherine Mattes, nee Schwenken, wife of Johannes Mattes
  28. A. S.—

A.S.—Twins, daughters of Adam and Elizabeth Stettler.

  1. Reichert Stettler, son of Adam and Esther Stettler (2nd wife).
  2. The last burial in this cemetery was of Thomas Roads, who died of smallpox. His friends of the P. O. S. of A. buried him at midnight in the Leydich cemetery and placed a stone whose inscription reads:

Thomas Rhoads
Born March 11, 1872
Died Dec. 8, 1901
Age 29 years, 9 mo., 17 days
Erected by W. G. No. 474, P. O. S. of A.
Sassamansville, Pa.

 

In Dotterer’s “The Perkiomen Region, Past and Present,” Vol. I, the full inscriptions on the following tombs are presented by George Nyce: Caspar Achenbach, Elizabeth Bitting, Maria Magdalena Achenbach, Angelina Bitting, Ana Gertraut Bitting, Ludwig Bitting, Magdalena Christman, Jost Bitting, Joseph Bitting, Samuel Bayer, Johannes Emmerich, Margaretha Margaret Emmerich, Anna Grob, Henrich Grob, Maria Salome Kuntz, John Koons, Frederick Koons, Mary Koons, Henry Krouse, Danie Krauss, Margaretha Krauss, Georg Langbein, Eva Langbein, Henrich Langbein, Margreth Langbein, Johann Philip Leydich, Catharina Leidig, Frantz Leidich, Christina Leidig, Philip Leydig, Rosina Leidig, Jacob Reifschneider, Catharina Reifschneider, George Mohr, Maria Barbara Mohr, Johannes Reimer, Maria Catharina Reimer, Ludwig Reimer, Susanna Reimer, Peter Schweisfort, Maria Schweisfort, John Stetler, Mary Stetler, Henrich Stattler, Henrich Stattlers, Catharina Stettler, Christian Stettler, Catharina Elisabetha Stettler, Benjamin Schneider, Elisabetha Schneider, Catharina Mattes.

From the above it is seen that a burial ground was here as early as 1763.

There is not a spot in the enclosed yard that does not contain a grave; every space is taken up. There is at eventide a peculiar restfulness at this quiet spot over which the sky forever keeps its vigil and the beautiful hills stand in glory as silent sentinels. As the sun sinks slowly to rest, the shadows deepening in the valley below stretch out and take the whole earth in their sheltering embrace, casting a wonderful blanket of peace over the resting place of these sturdy people, whom we love to honor as the forefathers of a mighty nation.

[1], The Perkiomen Region (1921) pp. 145-151

Leave a comment

Filed under Genealogy